26 Mei 2014

Wilkommen in Bremen

I have been in Bremen for two days, yet I feel like it has been a really long time. Yesterday, I was busy unpacking, buying groceries, getting to know the housemates and the house itself, and getting used to the place I am staying in general. Today, I went to Central Bremen and visited different places with my friend from UWC, Kyoko. She had a semester abroad in Copenhagen, and she is travelling Europe now before coming to Japan. To our surprise, we also met other UWCer, Eric, whom took me around the university where I will be interning, and other UWCers: Rabin, Ernesto, Julie, Louis.

It is really nice to see all my friends (I haven't met some of them in the past 3 years) and see cool places, but at the same time this makes me wonder about many things. Why does Germany have such a good transportation system (although it might not be right on time)? What makes a German, a German? Why do they do A instead of B?


I still have several weeks to find the answer by observing this country. I am also really lucky to actually join a research group and see how it works by being an intern. This wouldn't happen without the generous help from DAAD-RISE and MISTI-Germany.

What is the first thing I noticed in Bremen? It's so (unbelievably) green!

View from my room.

Of course it's totally different than the skyscrapers view from my last room back on campus...

Last view of my room: everything was packed and I was ready to go.

Besides green, Bremen-Schonebeck area is really calm and peaceful. You can here birds, and different insects during the day and night. This reminds me of the place where my grandparents live.

Although the are where I live seems to be really rural and far from everything (closest Bahnhoft: ~15 minutes away by walking, the university where I'm working: ~20 minutes away by walking), but the train to Central Bremen comes every 30 minutes or so. There is a big supermarket as well, where you can buy groceries, and even a little mall!

Bremen-Schonebeck station, where you can go to other places by train.

To go to the Central Bremen station (or Bremen Hauptbahnhof), you only need around 25 minutes by train, which is close.

How does the Central Bremen station looks like? As expected from European buildings, it looks amazing: old, and grand at the same time.

Can you see all the tram wires and all the tram rails on the picture? Can you believe what I am saying about German transportation system now?

The central attraction of Bremen is the Marktplatz, which is a place where the state government, church, restaurant, shopping places, are. There is also a basement floor below the cathedral where you can see German mummies (well, let's say European mummies) from centuries ago. When you come out of this basement, there is a bible garden (garden with plants mentioned on the bible), and I didn't know that bible mentions so many plant names.

The view in the middle of Markplatz is quite breathtaking.

St. Petri Dom, or Bremen Cathedral.

The cafes which sell beer in the middle of the day: typical German cafes?

The state government building? From left to right: European Union flag, German flag, and Bremen state flag.

There is also a little street where merchandise stores and galleries are. There is also a good ice cream place (I had mango yoghurt today, and it was tasty!) around this area, which is called Schnoor.


Teddy bear merchandise store. Cuteness level: super high.

Bremen also has its story that is related to animal, just like Boston with its ducklings. There are 4 animals who want to be musicians: the donkey, the dog, the cat, and the rooster, because they were too old to give anything in their farms.

Yes, and a cute little kid trying to touch the donkey legs.

This symbol is really common, everywhere, and you can practically see the picture of these animals in every merchandise, or other places. There are also some people who remake the sculpture in their own interpretation.

The animals are reading books, of course.

Anyway, I am really sorry to post a lot of pictures with minimum content. I will write a more thoughtful post once I get around 'this hysteria of being in Europe'. Please wish me luck for tomorrow, the first day of my internship. Hopefully, I can contribute something to the team, and learn something from them.

Well, enjoy your summer in whichever parts of the world you are in!

Tidak ada komentar:

Poskan Komentar