|The assembled heat exchanger! His name is Albert.|
The heat exchanger one was quite interesting. We basically created a program on MATLAB to find the maximum heat transfer with the constraints given: 1. The mass should not exceed 1.1 kg, 2. The length should not exceed 0.5 m, 3. The inlet hot temperature is 60 degrees C, and the inlet cold temperature is 20 degrees C.
So, as you could see above, the heat exchanger of our team had 2 shell passes and 2 tube passes. The copper tubes are where the hot water is going to pass, and the cold water is passing in the shell. Actually, our team design was quite a gamble. It could transfer 20 kW, but the uncertainty was really high. In the end, the gamble did not pay off, and we ended up getting fourth place (yup, we're group B!). It is a little bit sad, but we were still happy that we did not get the last place, haha. I know Albert (the name of our heat exchanger) worked so hard.
|Final results of heat exchanger competition. Only 10.9 kW in the end.|
So, if I choose aluminium alloy as the reference material...
|Comparison of different materials.|
So, for this project, I basically have pages of spreadsheet, so many MATLAB graphs (I've become quite good at plotting graphs in MATLAB, hooray!), and some readings to do.
Overall, I am glad I chose these two projects, because I learnt a lot and also made new friends in my teams. Thank you so much team-mates!
I am basically done with my third year (junior year), and I am so happy about it. I am going to India in two weeks for summer internship, and then heading home for few weeks before going back to the United States for my final year at MIT. This exchange year has been amazing so far, and I am glad I did it. Thanks for your support everyone :)